Sunday, November 1, 2015

Early reflections on NaNoWriMo


Day One! Actually will start writing at midnight, my witching hour, but will have to discipline myself to writing at 5 a.m. as it is the only time I have realistically in my life to work on it.

In one of the many tips I've been reading about writing, I keep seeing "don't forget to also make time to read". Which I find problematic for myself. When I write, I make very sure I do NOT read anyone's writing. My fear is that I will unwittingly and subconsciously begin to mimic that author's style or voice in my own writing. And one thing I've learned about the literary world, imitation is not sincerest flattery. A person can be accused of hack-writing or worse, plagiarism. So I avoid the whole trouble by putting my reading for pleasure on hold until whatever I am working on is finished. If afterward I still recognize some other admired author's voice I can say that I came by my influence honestly and change or edit if necessary.

Dredging up from the bottom of your being an original unique story, that is also universal (because all stories are human stories and therefore universal) is hard. It's all been done before, said before, and done better by better writers going back as far as the Greeks. This kind of thinking can stop a young amateur writer dead in her tracks and make you throw up your hands at the sheer futility of it all. Self doubt is self defeating. But the mantra of NaNoWriMo is "The World Needs Your Novel".  I have to remind myself of this as I struggle to bang out those 1700 words every day this November. And if not the world, then at the very least I need my novel. I need it out of me, out of my heart and soul and onto a page, in existence in some form outside of myself, if nothing else to remove the onerous weight on my existence. This novel is as much about me and my life as it will be about yours. The perspective is different, the experiences - some real and some fictionalized and fantastical - are also as much a part of me as it can be yours.

At least, that is my hope, and my drive.
Wish me luck! Wish me the ability to wake each morning at 5 a.m.! lol



No comments:

Post a Comment